Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New series coming tomorrow

I will begin a new series of weekly book reviews tomorrow.  The books reviewed will surround the general topic of Christianity and politics.  As my last essay series indicated, I believe that each has a role in social justice and I plan to continue exploring this idea through this series.  Usually, the books reviewed in this series will not have been major sources for my last essay series, but there will be a bit of overlap. 

Normally book reviews contain both a summary and an evaluation of the book.  Instead of sticking to this format, my reviews will contain a summary and then answer the question, "What does this book teach me about social justice?"  Assume that if I post a book review, the book was more useful than not and that I'd recommend reading it (although I may not agree with it). 

I hope that these reviews will be helpful as I consider some ideas for a new essay series to begin in the summer.  Broadly, I hope to answer the question "How does my faith impact my politics, how do my politics impact my faith, and what does this have to do with social justice?"  Obviously, I will need a pithier title for the series.

Although the purpose for these reviews is somewhat selfish, I hope that readers can find value in what I write and that the possibility for debate exists within the series.  I covet your imput as I think about faith and justice.

I expect to post reviews on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Please check back tomorrow for the first review: A Public Faith: How Followers of Christ Should Serve the Common Good by Miroslav Volf.

No comments:

Post a Comment