Sunday, October 6, 2013

Out of the Cold

I was happy to share with Edith Avenue Baptist Church on October 6, 2013 about Out of the Cold Men's Shelter in Saint John.

A transcript is included.


-------

Thank you for allowing me to share with you for a few minutes this morning.  I have only taken part in a couple worship services here since I moved away from the city in 2005.  I spent most of my formative years at Edith Avenue and I am grateful that I was introduced to my faith here.  It is good to be back and see the familiar faces.  I’m also happy to see some new people here that I have not met.
 
Just a bit of catch-up.  After I moved from Saint John in 2005 I went to McAdam for a few years and then went to Vancouver for a couple of years to study theology.  I came back to Saint John a couple of years ago and have since been involved with a few different organizations.  I’m here today to talk about one of these.
 
Out of the Cold is a shelter for homeless men in Uptown Saint John.  It is located in Grace Presbyterian Church.  This is the church across the street from St. Joseph’s Hospital on the corner Hazen Street and Coburg Street.  We are open for three months every year from January 1 until March 31.  The shelter is open seven days per week during this time, including holidays and weekends.  
 
Our goal is simple:  Make sure that there are no homeless men who have to sleep outdoors during the cold and wet and snowy Saint John winter.
 
Out of the Cold began operation in the winter of 2010.  It was a small group of volunteers and they only planned to be open when the forecasted temperature was 10 degrees below zero Celsius.  The volunteers quickly realized that 9 degrees below zero and 10 degrees below zero was not that different.  They immediately figured out a way to make sure the shelter was open every night that winter.  Being open every night has been our model ever since. 
 
Last year was the third winter for Out of the Cold.  It was the busiest winter that we ever had.  Sixty-seven individual men used the shelter at least one time last year.  Our nightly average was a little over ten men per night.  Our capacity is fifteen men, but things start to get a bit tight with ten or eleven men all sleeping in the same room.  We expect to have similar numbers this winter.
 
Christians play a big role in Out of the Cold.  The shelter is located in a church.  Some, but not all, the volunteers go to church.  You may have noticed that I said that the shelter is located in a Presbyterian Church.  This does not mean that all of the volunteers are Presbyterian.  Christians from a number of denominations take part at the shelter.
 
I’m grateful for every volunteer that comes through the door to help at Out of the Cold.  I will happily work beside anyone who shares the desire to help people who are homeless, regardless of what they believe or don’t believe.
 
Right now, though, I am standing and sharing about the shelter in a Church.  I want to take this chance to tell you a bit about why I volunteer at the shelter and why my faith in Jesus is a key to why I volunteer.
 
As Christians, we are Kingdom people.  We pray that God’s will will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.  We are eagerly expecting Jesus to return.  We are even told what it will be like when Jesus does return in Revelation Chapter 21:
 
“Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.  He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”
 
In The New Heaven and The New Earth we are anticipating, there will be no more pain or misery.  Right now, though, there is.  I want the world right now to resemble the coming world as much as possible.  There are all sorts of ways to do this.  One way that I am excited about is to help ensure that no homeless man has to sleep outside on a cold, wet, and snowy Saint John night.  
 
The things that go on at Edith Avenue Baptist Church excite me.  I have had a couple of conversations with Pastor Alcorn and have read about some of the ministries here in the news.  I am thrilled to see that Edith Avenue Baptist is working to show Saint John what the Kingdom of God is like.
 
So, why am I here this morning?  Out of the Cold could use some help. 
 
I know that this is a busy congregation and that you are already serving who Jesus would call “the least of these.”  Please do not hear what I am saying as an attempt to make you feel guilty or trying to push you into helping Out of the Cold.  That is not what I am trying to do.  Instead, I want to tell you about a particular ministry that happens in Saint John and what the needs are.  If you hear me say something and you think, “Hey, I can do that,” please email me.  If you hear me say something and think, “Hey, I’m glad somebody out there does that, but I’m already swamped,” that is OK too.  It is impossible for someone to do everything and I think this is why God calls some people to some things and other people to other things.
 
One thing we need is volunteers.  We have two shifts every night, seven nights a week, for three months.  This takes a lot of volunteers.  We have a broad range of volunteers.  Women and men, working age people and retirees, religious people and not religious people volunteer.  You can volunteer to help out only one night if you would like or to come a little more often.  We make sure that our volunteers are safe and we make sure none of our volunteers are burnt out by the end of the winter.
 
Covering a shift at the shelter is not for everyone.  There are other ways to help. 
 
We need warm clothes for men to wear.  Primarily, this means socks.  The guys that stay at the shelter often times spend all day walking.  This sometimes means walking through slush and snow.  One thing that we are regularly asked for by the guys is a pair of warm, dry socks.  We also give the guys several toques, gloves, and scarves throughout a winter.  Even one pair of socks will make a difference for at least one man for one day.
 
We also need food.  For the last couple of years we provided meals for the men when they arrive, but we discovered the need for a full meal is not as great as we expected.  Happily, there are several spots in the city where people can go to have a meal.  This year we still want to have some food on hand, but different types.  We would like to provide the guys with sandwiches, fruit, raw vegetables with dip, and tea.  In particular, the guys drink a lot of juice, coffee, and milk.
 
We also provide the guys with Tim Horton’s gift cards.  We close the shelter at about 7:30 in the morning.  That leaves the guys with a couple of hours before other places open.  On particularly cold days, or snowy days, or rainy days, a Tim’s gift card means the guys have somewhere warm to go for a bit.  If you would like to donate a gift card, the gift cards we give the guys are for $5.00.
 
I’m going to stick around after the service if anyone has any questions or wants more information.  I’d be happy to chat for a bit.  Otherwise, you can email me at my email address in the bulletin.
 
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment