Sunday, December 30, 2012

Most Popular Posts of 2012

These are the 10 most popular posts on ajdickinson.blogspot.ca in 2012.


An Open Letter to Saint John City Council Regarding Jaywalking and the Sex-Trade

I wrote this letter to the Saint John City Council after a November motion passed to determine the feasibility of targeting sex workers for infractions such as jaywalking.  Within three days of posting, the letter had more hits than any monthly hit total to that point (although my December hit totals was marginally higher than this post).  The popularity of this post was unexpected and is entirely from people sharing the link through Facebook and Twitter, so I would like to pass along a word of thanks to those who helped publicize my opposition to this motion.
 

Grace Presbyterian is a Church that Responds to Poverty

This is the most popular entry in a series of profiles I wrote about churches and Christian faith-based NGOs that have ministries that respond to poverty in southern New Brunswick.  Again, a number of people shared Facebook and Twitter links that contributed to the post’s popularity.  Out of the Cold is a service that I am passionate about and I was glad to share some of the stories from its volunteers.


Jesus Matters. I Did Not See That Coming.  

My intent was only to write a profile for my “Responds to Poverty” series when I sat down to discuss Main Street Baptist Church’s Hope Mission program with some of the participants.  I was stunned and humbled when I found out how central Jesus is for this group.  I wrote this piece partly to confess my ignorance of this importance and partly to honour the faith I saw while talking to folks.     
 

Main Street Baptist is a Church that Responds to Poverty  

The piece I intended to write while talking with people at Hope Mission.
 

Quote (Stephen Colbert)

Every so often I post quotes that I find inspiring.  Apparently, these words from Stephen Colbert during his interview with Oprah struck a note with others as well. 


Book Review - After You Believe by N. T. Wright

The first of three book reviews on my Top 10 List is a book from N. T. Wright.  Excellent book.
http://ajdickinson.blogspot.ca/2012/08/book-review-after-you-believe-by-n-t.html 


In Defence of Charity

My argument that charity, when properly executed, is not contrary to justice.  Instead, it is a needed tool when we are working to create a more just place to live.
http://ajdickinson.blogspot.ca/2012/04/in-defence-of-charity.html
 

Micah 6:8 and Why It Is Not Enough to be a Social Justice Christian
 
Micah 6:8 is a commonly cited verse amongst “Social Justice Christians.”  Unfortunately, we seem to miss 2/3 of the injunction when referring to it.  I wrote this piece when I started to ask a What if question when thinking about the causes of poverty and how we should respond.
 
 
Book Review - A Public Faith by Miroslav Volf

This entry was the first real surprise I had since launching this blog.  The book’s publisher linked to this entry on their blog (http://www.thebrazosblog.com/2012/05/the-weekly-hit-list-may-4-2012/).  The link made this the most popular post on the blog for a couple of months.
http://ajdickinson.blogspot.ca/2012/04/book-review-in-public-faith-by-miroslav.html


Book Review - Power and Poverty by Dewi Hughes  

I think that this book has more impact on what I think about social justice and poverty than anything else that I have read.  I read the book for school in 2010 and revisited it this year and the weightiness remains.  My review is simple: I would like lots of people to read this book.
http://ajdickinson.blogspot.ca/2012/09/book-review-power-and-poverty-by-dewi.html

No comments:

Post a Comment