Friday, December 21, 2012

Sermon on Zephaniah 3:14-20 and Luke 3:7-18

I was again privleged to worship with Mission Church in Saint John, NB on December 16, 2012.  I shared in their celebrations for the third Sunday in Advent and spoke on Zephaniah 3:14-20 and Luke 3:7-18



Good morning.  Thank-you for inviting me to worship with you again. 
 
Christmas is almost here.  That means we can look forward to a new Hobbit movie each December for the next few years.  I started to reread the book before going to see the first movie.  When I opened J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, I saw the title for chapter one:
 
“An Unexpected Party.”  
 
In the first chapter of The Hobbit we meet Bilbo Baggins.  Someone knocks on his door and then someone else and then someone else.  Before Bilbo knows it, his entire kitchen is full of dwarves and a wizard.  He is scrambling to feed everyone and find somewhere to let them sleep.  Bilbo was not prepared for guests.  He was hosting an unexpected party.  
 
Several decades after the events in The Hobbit is Bilbo’s 111th birthday.  We can read all about Bilbo’s birthday in the first chapter of The Lord of the Rings.  All of Bilbo’s family come to join the celebration.  Bilbo’s family was planning this day for quite some time.  It is not every day that someone turns eleventy-one.  Tolkien named this chapter “A Long Expected Party.”
 
Next week Christians will celebrate a birthday.  Every year people prepare for Christmas.  We anticipate a celebration.  Israel’s prophets also anticipated this birth.  Israel was a people who were long expecting to celebrate the coming of the messiah.  Christmas Day is a long expected party.        
 
Advent is a season to remember promises.  Zephaniah wrote about the promises of God hundreds of years before the messiah came to Israel.  John the Baptist spoke a short time before the messiah was public, but when he gave his Brood of Vipers speech, he didn’t yet realize that his own cousin was the messiah.  Even people who were looking to the promised messiah’s arrival didn’t expect that he would look like Jesus.  Christmas Day is an unexpected party.
 
We are certainly fortunate to anticipate this birthday, but I think that we should also be humbled.  On one hand are Zephaniah and John.  They said, “Rejoice.  Don’t lose heart.  The expected guest has almost arrived,” but they didn’t know when almost would be.  On the other hand is us.  We know that the person Zephaniah and John were waiting for has since come.  
 
During advent, Christians anticipate the coming messiah.  We have to be a bit imaginative.  We weren’t around on December 24, 0001.  We do not know what it was like to wonder when the messiah will finally arrive.  Christians believe that the messiah came 2000 years ago and that his name is Jesus.  Even if you aren’t a Christian, it is safe to assume that if you are here this morning, you have some idea about who Christians say Jesus is.  
 
I think that we are fortunate because we do not need to wonder when the messiah will arrive.  We don’t have to deal with the anticipation.  Unlike Zephaniah and John, we will never experience the world before the messiah.  We can stand here and say, “Rejoice.  Don’t lose heart.  The expected guest is Jesus, the Son of God.  He is here right now and he is working to set up his kingdom.”  
 
We should make this statement with humility.  We are further along in the history of God’s Kingdom.  If the only world we know is a world that exists after God gave us our messiah, we should realize that this knowledge brings added responsibility.   
 
We know about the Sermon on the Mount.  We know about the resurrection.  We know about the day of Pentecost.  We have more information and I expect God wants this to have an impact.  If I am correct, you and I have responsibilities that John and Zephaniah did not have.  
 
It is advent.  We are anticipating the coming of the messiah.  If we are going to anticipate the messiah’s arrival properly, I think we need to ask a question: Does it matter that the messiah is coming?  
 
Let’s ask that same question in a different way.  Let’s ask it in a way that reflects all of the knowledge that we have that Zephaniah and John didn’t have.  Let’s ask the question in a way that reflects that we believe Jesus is indeed the expected messiah.  
 
Does it really matter that Jesus was here?  Does it really matter that Jesus lived amongst people basically like us?  Does it really matter that Jesus died at the hands of people basically like us?  Does it really matter that Jesus, our dead messiah and God, came back to life after his execution?
 
Yes, it does matter that Jesus came, but I don’t think it’s fair to just leave it at that.  If we are going to say that it matters that Jesus came, we better be able to say why it matters.  I want to use the information that Zephaniah and John gave us to suggest why it matters that Jesus came.
 
I grew up in the church.  When I was a kid, a teenager, and a young adult, I believed in God for no reason other than tradition.  God was just sort of there.  My grandparents believed in God, my parents believed in God, so I believed in God.  In my mid-20s, I had the first decisive moment in my faith.  
 
Tradition was no longer enough.  I thought, “I believe in God and I believe that Jesus is God, but what does this have to do with anything?”  I needed to know why I should care about Jesus.  
 
I’m standing here so it is not surprising that years after asking this question, I choose to continue following Jesus.
 
When I read the prophecy of Zephaniah, three words stand out.  These three words – rescue, renew, and restore – are significant to why I think it matters that Jesus came.  About 6 years ago, I realized that injustice is constant and that it is here in Saint John.  I’m tired of it.  When I read a passage like the one from Zephaniah, I realize that God is tired of it too.  
 
I also realized that I think something better than right now is possible.  It seems odd to me to think that right now is the best that God can offer.  Reading a passage like the one from Zephaniah makes me realize that God does have something better for people.  
 
I also realized that I cannot make everything better. Reading a passage like the one from Zephaniah makes me realize fixing things isn’t my responsibility.  Fixing things is instead God’s promise to us.  He’ll let me join in and even wants me to participate, but he won’t let me take over. 
 
Why does it matter that Jesus came?  Zephaniah gives us a good reason.  One reason that I follow Jesus is because he doesn’t pretend that life is peachy.  He acknowledges that things are rough for most people.  Instead of hiding from this reality, he came alongside us to live in this roughness so he could offer rescue, renewal, and restoration to his fellow humans.
 
The prophecy of John the Baptist also gives us some insight about why it is important that Jesus came.  When reading Luke’s gospel, a question from the crowd stands out.  “What then should we do?”  John’s answer was, “You should repent.”  
 
I’m afraid the word “repent” has become a word that Christians hear so often that we don’t really think about what it means anymore.  Let’s use a synonym.  John was telling people to change.  Change is important in the Christian faith.  If an encounter with Jesus does not change us, I am doubtful that an encounter actually happened.  I cannot say that I believe that Jesus is right and that Jesus changed my life if nothing about my life with Jesus is different from what it would be like if Jesus weren’t involved.
 
There are a couple of interesting things about how John told people to change.  First, his opening is shockingly bold.  It is not a good idea for a speaker to insult his audience.  That’s why I started off with the words, “Good morning.  Thank-you.”  John starts with, “Brood of snakes.  What do you think you’re doing slithering down here to the river?”  
 
The people stuck around.  Then asked how to stop being a brood of snakes.  
 
Second, John is very specific about how to change.  The change that he called everyone to – whether soldiers, tax collectors, or everyday people – was connected to what they own.  John told everyone to take stock of their wealth.  The need for repentance seems obvious for the cheating tax collectors and thieving soldiers, but the call even went to people who gained their possessions legitimately.  
 
Even still, people stuck around.
 
So, why does it matter that Jesus came?  John the Baptist gives us a second reason.  Jesus does not stop at acknowledging that things are bad out there.  He also tells us that sometimes we are the reason why things are bad out there.  That said, Jesus isn’t prepared to stand by as we sin.  We are made to reflect God’s image.  Jesus matters because he offers to help us to change into better reflections of God.
 
In nine days, we will celebrate the most significant birth in human history.  As Christians, we celebrate the birth of a baby and then we follow him.  Following Jesus is hard.  This morning I wanted to highlight a couple of reasons why this birthday means you can rejoice at this hardness rather than lose hope.  
 
It is hard to look at Saint John when we know that people are hurting.  
 
Rejoice.  Don’t lose heart.  In the face of hurt Jesus offers rescue, renewal, and restoration.
 
It is hard to look at ourselves and wonder if sin has corrupted us beyond a point that God will have anything to do with us.  
 
Rejoice.  Don’t lose heart.  In the face of our sin, Jesus will help change our lives.
  
It is December 16.  The expected guest is almost here.  Rejoice.  A long expected party is upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment